In order to be admitted to the program, the applicant must have completed a master’s degree in theology or religious studies (or another relevant discipline) by the date of matriculation. Ideally, the student’s masters-level coursework should be focused on one of the two fields or religious traditions in which the student will specialize in the Ph.D. program.
Applications are completed on-line (the deadline is announced on the Department of Theology and Religious Studies website) and the requirements include:
- A statement of intent that (1) articulates the nature of the student’s interest in religious pluralism, (2) outlines how her previous education has prepared her for doctoral studies in our program, and (3) describes her general area of future doctoral research, including the primary and secondary religious traditions to be studied;
- A sample of written work of no more 25 double-spaced pages (e.g., a research paper);
- Transcripts – Applicants are required to upload to the application system copies of official transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate institutions attended. Visit our How to Apply page for additional details and FAQs;
- Three letters of recommendation from former professors;
- Graduate Record Examination (General Test) scores;
- TOEFL or IELTS for all non-native speakers of English, unless at least four years of their previous post-secondary education was in English.
Applicants are required to upload to the application system unofficial transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate institutions attended. Do not send electronic or paper copies of your transcripts before receiving an offer of admission. Review the unofficial transcript requirements for additional details and FAQs.
The deadline for application with tuition scholarship and stipend is fixed annually; normally it falls in December. Applicants are strongly urged to make sure that all the requisite documents are submitted with their application, especially the letters of recommendation. No incomplete applications will be considered at the time the admissions committee meets.
Application Deadline December 15, 2021
Graduate School of Arts & Sciences